Replace the toner cartridge
The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the toner cartridge and not the drum unit.
> Click here to see information for the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit.
> For the order number (Order No.) of the toner cartridge, click here to see the Consumables & Options page.
Follow the steps below to replace the toner cartridge:
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.
Do NOT use flammable substances near the machine. Do NOT use any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.
After you have just used the machine, some internal parts of the machine will be extremely hot. When you open the front or back cover of the machine, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustration.
Turn off the machine's power switch. Press the front cover release button and then open the front cover.
Hold the green handle of the drum unit. Lift the drum unit up and then pull it out until it stops.
Hold the handle of the toner cartridge and pull it out of the drum unit. Repeat this for all the toner cartridges.
- Brother strongly recommends that you DO NOT refill the toner cartridges provided with your machine. We also strongly recommend that you continue to use only Genuine Brother Brand replacement toner cartridges. Use or attempted use of potentially incompatible toner and/or cartridges in the Brother machine may cause damage to the machine and/or may result in unsatisfactory print quality. Our warranty coverage does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of unauthorized third party toner and/or cartridges. To protect your investment and obtain premium performance from the Brother machine, we strongly recommend the use of Genuine Brother Supplies.
- We recommend that you place the toner cartridge on a clean, flat surface with a piece of disposable paper underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
- DO NOT put a toner cartridge into a fire. It could explode, resulting in injuries.
- Discard the used toner cartridge according to local regulations, keeping it separate from domestic waste. Be sure to seal up the toner cartridge tightly in a suitable bag so that toner powder does not spill out of the cartridge. If you have questions, call your local waste disposal office.
- Handle the toner cartridges carefully. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, wipe or wash it off with cold water at once.
- Wait to unpack the toner cartridge until immediately before you put it in the machine. If a toner cartridge is left unpacked for a long time, the toner life will be shortened.
- To avoid print quality problems, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
Clean the corona wires as follows.
Push to release the latches of the white corona wire cover (1), and then open the cover.
Clean the corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from left to right and right to left several times.
Close the corona wire cover.
Repeat STEP a through STEP c to clean each of the remaining three corona wires.
Be sure to return the tab to the home position (1). If you do not, printed pages may have a vertical stripe.
- Push to release the latches of the white corona wire cover (1), and then open the cover.
Unpack the new toner cartridge. Hold the cartridge level with both hands and gently rock it from side to side five or six times to spread the toner evenly inside the cartridge.
Remove the yellow protective cover.
Hold the handle of the toner cartridge and slide the toner cartridge into the drum unit. Make sure that you match the toner cartridge color to the same color label on the drum unit, and make sure that you fold down the toner cartridge handle (A) once the toner cartridge is in place. Repeat this for all the toner cartridges.
Brother offer two sizes of toner cartridges for your machine, a "Standard" yield toner and a "High" yield toner. Your machine can accept a combination of "Standard" and "High" yield toner cartridges.
Push the drum unit in until it stops.
Close the front cover of the machine.
DCP-9040CN, DCP-9045CDN, MFC-9440CN, MFC-9450CDN, MFC-9840CDW
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.