My Brother machine has no power. What can I do?
If your Brother machine does not appear to have power, please follow the steps listed below:
- Verify whether or not the date and time appear on your Brother machine's LCD. If anything is displayed on your Brother machine's LCD, then it is most likely receiving power.
- If your Brother machine's LCD is blank, continue to Step 2.
- If your Brother machine's LCD displays a message other than the date and time, please refer to the FAQ about the message being displayed for further information.
- Verify the Brother machine's power cord is connected securely to the power outlet. If you are using a surge protector, extension cord, or power switch, disconnect it and plug the Brother machine directly into the wall outlet.
To protect your investment against power surges and lightning, Brother strongly recommends that you connect your machine to a surge protector. In particular, we suggest that you use a surge protector that is compatible with both standard A.C. power cords and telephone line cords. Surge protectors equipped with telephone jacks will assist in insulating your machine from any power surge that might travel through a telephone line.
- Make sure the Brother machine is powered ON. The On/Off or Power Save key is located in the upper-left corner of the Brother machine's control panel. If the Brother machine is turned OFF, its LCD will be blank.
- Adjust the contrast of the Brother machine's LCD by following these steps:
- Press Menu/Set, 1 (General Setup), 7 (LCD Contrast).
- Press the Up Arrow key to increase the contrast.
- Press the Menu/Set to confirm your choice.
- Press the Stop/Exit to exit the menu.
- If your Brother machine's LCD is still blank, connect it to a completely different, known working power outlet. If the Brother machine powers up, then the problem is related to the original outlet.
Confirm the power outlet is working by plugging another known working device (a lamp, radio, etc.) directly into the same outlet. If the other device does not work, the problem is related to that power outlet. If a wall switch controls the outlet, verify that the switch is ON.
- If your Brother machine still will not power on, please contact the Brother office in your country.
MFC-210C, MFC-420CN, MFC-640CW
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.