Follow the steps below to clear the error message Paper Jam.
-Case1: Paper Jam [Front]
-Case2: Paper Jam [Rear]
-Case3: Paper Jam [Front, Rear]
- Text Instructions (Paper Jam [Front], [Rear])
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product, and may differ from your Brother machine.
- Unplug your Brother machine from the AC power outlet (electrical socket).
If the paper support flap is open, close it, and then close the paper support. Pull the paper tray (1) completely out of the machine.
Open the Disc Guide.
- If the Touchscreen shows Paper Jam [Rear], go to STEP 7.
Pull out the jammed paper (1).
Lift the Jam Clear flap, and remove the jammed paper.
Make sure you look carefully inside the machine above and below the Jam Clear Flap for any pieces of paper.
With the tray removed, do one of the following:
- If the Touchscreen shows Paper Jam [Front], go to STEP 10.
- If the Touchscreen shows Paper Jam [Front, Rear], go to STEP 7.
Open the Jam Clear Cover (1) at the back of the machine.
Pull the jammed paper out of the machine.
Close the Jam Clear Cover. Make sure the cover is closed properly.
Check inside the machine.
- Place both hands under the plastic tabs on both sides of the machine to lift the scanner cover (1) into the open position.
- Use your hand to move the print head and remove any pieces of paper remaining under the print head.
Unplug the machine from the power source before you move the print head using your hand.
- Carefully check the left (2) and right (3) side corners and remove any pieces of paper.
- DO NOT touch the encoder strip (1). Doing this may cause damage to the machine.
If the print head is at the right corner as shown in the illustration below, you cannot move the print head using your hand. Plug the power cord back into the AC power outlet (electrical socket). Hold down (Cancel) until the print head moves to the middle so that the right hand corner can be checked.
- If ink gets on your skin or clothing immediately wash it off with soap or detergent.
Make sure you look carefully inside the Disc Guide for any pieces of paper.
Close the Disc Guide.
Put the paper tray firmly back in the machine.
Lift the scanner cover (1) to release the lock. Gently push the scanner cover support down (2) and close the scanner cover (3) using both hands.
While holding the paper tray in place, pull out the paper support (1) until it clicks, and then unfold the paper support flap (2).
DO NOT use the paper support flap for Legal size paper. (Only available for some countries.)
- Plug the power cord back into the AC power outlet (electrical socket).
- Verify the error message is cleared.
If the error message continues to appear, click here to see information for the error message "Paper Jam" after removing the jammed paper.
To avoid future paper jams, adjust the paper width guides (1) and paper length guide (2) to fit the paper size.
Make sure that the triangular marks (3) on the paper width guides (1) and paper length guide (2) line up with the marks for the paper size you are using.
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.