Replace the drum unit.
Follow the procedure below to replace the drum unit.
The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the drum unit and not the toner cartridge. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"
Do NOT use any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.
When the Drum LED is blinking and the Ready LED is lit, the drum unit is near the end of its life. We recommend that you replace the drum unit with a new one before there is a noticeable deterioration in the print quality.
- While removing the drum unit, handle it carefully as it may contain toner.
- Every time you replace the drum unit, you should clean the inside of the printer. See How can I clean the inside of the printer?
For the order number (Order No.) of the drum unit, please refer to the User's guide provided with your Brother Printer or the Consumables & Options page of your model on Brother Solutions Center. To visit Consumables & Options page, click your model name link on the top section and then click "Consumables & Options" link on the opened page.
Make sure that the printer is turned on and the Drum LED is blinking. Open the front cover of the printer.
Reset the drum counter. Press and hold down the Go button for about 4 seconds until all the LEDs light up. Once all four LEDs are lit, release the Go button.
If you do not reset the drum counter, the Drum LED continues to blink even after replacing the drum unit.
Do not reset the drum counter when you replace only the toner cartridge.
Pull out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
- We recommend that you place the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly on a piece of disposable paper or cloth in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
- To prevent damage to the printer from static electricity, do not touch the electrodes shown below.
- Do not use flammable substances when cleaning the machine. Doing this might cause a fire or electrical shock.
Push down the blue lock lever and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
- Handle the toner cartridge carefully. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, immediately wipe or wash it off with cold water.
- Be sure to seal up the drum unit tightly in a bag so that toner powder does not spill out of the unit.
- Discard the used drum unit according to local regulations, keeping it separate from domestic waste. If you have questions, call your local waste disposal office.
Unpack the new drum unit.
Wait to unpack a drum unit until immediately before you put it in the printer. Exposure to direct sunlight or room light may damage the drum unit.
Put the toner cartridge firmly into the new drum unit until you hear it lock into place. If you put the cartridge in properly, the blue lock lever will lift automatically.
Make sure you insert the toner cartridge properly, or it may separate from the drum unit.
Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly in the printer.
- Close the front cover.
- Make sure that the Drum LED is now off.
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.