When the REPLACE TONER message appears, the following LED indications is shown on the control panel. The Toner LED is on.
The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the Toner Cartridge and not the drum unit. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"
> For the order number (Order No.) of the toner cartridge, please click here to see the Consumables & Options page.
Please follow the steps below to solve the problem:
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.
- Make sure that the machine is turned on. Leave the machine for at least 10 minutes to cool down.
- You must ensure the machine is turned on when you replace the toner cartridge so that the machine recognizes the toner has changed.
- After you have just used the printer, some internal parts will be extremely hot. Wait at least 10 minutes for the printer to cool down before continuing to the next step.
- Open the front cover.
To prevent any degradation to the print quality, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
- Take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
Hold your Brother machine with one hand and hold the drum unit with the other hand. Then, pull the drum unit toward you and lift it up.
- DO NOT put a toner cartridge into a fire. It could explode, resulting in injuries.
- DO NOT use cleaning materials that contain ammonia, alcohol, any type of spray, or any type of flammable substance to clean the outside or inside of the machine.
- Be careful not to inhale toner.
- While removing the drum unit, handle it carefully because it may contain toner.
- Handle the toner cartridge carefully. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, wipe or wash it off with cold water at once.
- We recommend that you place the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly on a clean, flat surface with a piece of disposable paper underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
- To prevent damage to the machine from static electricity, DO NOT touch the electrodes shown in the illustration.
- To avoid print quality problems, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
- Push down the green lock lever and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
- Be sure to seal up the used toner cartridge tightly in a suitable bag so that toner powder does not spill out of the cartridge.
- Go to http://www.brother.com/original/index.html for instructions on how to return the used toner cartridge to the brother collection program. If you choose not to return your used toner cartridge, please discard the used toner cartridge according to local regulations, keeping it separate from domestic waste. If you have questions, call your local waste disposal office.
- Unpack the new toner cartridge. Hold the cartridge level with both hands and gently shake it from side to side several times to spread the toner evenly inside the cartridge.
- Brother strongly recommends that you do not refill the toner cartridge provided with your machine. We also strongly recommend that you continue to use only genuine Brother brand replacement toner cartridges. Use or attempted use of potentially incompatible toner and/or cartridges in the Brother machine may cause damage to the machine and/or may result in unsatisfactory print quality. Our warranty coverage does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of unauthorized third party toner and/or cartridges. To protect your investment and obtain premium performance from the Brother machine, we strongly recommend the use of genuine Brother supplies.
- DO NOT unpack a spare toner cartridge until immediately before you put it into the machine. If toner cartridges are left unpacked for a long time the toner life may be shortened.
- We recommend that you clean the machine when you replace the consumables. For the details of cleaning the printer, please refer to the Cleaning section in User's guide or FAQs in the "Maintenance" section of your model.
- Pull off the protective cover.
- Put the new toner cartridge firmly into the drum unit until you hear it lock into place. If you put it in properly, the green lock lever will lift automatically.
- Clean the primary corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from right to left and left to right several times.
Be sure to return the tab to the home position () (1). If you do not, printed pages may have a vertical stripe.
- Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back into the machine. Close the front cover.
DO NOT turn off the machine's power switch or open the front cover until the Ready LED lights up.
If the error message still continues to appear, refer to "I just replaced the toner cartridge and the LCD continues to display the message "Toner Low" / "Replace Toner" / "Toner End" or the Toner LED is still on or flashing."