Configure and use the Scan to Network feature (For Windows)
The Scan to Network feature allows you to scan documents directly to a shared folder on a CIFS server located on your local network or the Internet. The details required to use Scan to Network can be entered by using the Web Based Management to pre-configure and store the details in a Scan to Network profile.
Scan to Network is available only after Scan to Network profiles have been configured.
Click the link for steps:
- To configure the Scan to Network profiles for the Scan to Network feature
- To use the Scan to Network feature
- Print the network configuration report to obtain the IP address of the Brother machine. (Click here to see how to print the Network Configuration Report.)
Open web-based management on a computer connected to the same network as your Brother machine. To use web-based management, open a web browser (such as Internet Explorer) and enter in the IP address of the Brother machine from the Network Configuration Report. (Ex: http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of your machine)
If you have configured a password on your machine's network card, you must first enter the network password in the Login field at the top of the screen and then press .
- Click the Scan tab.
- Click the Scan to FTP/SFTP/Network menu in the left navigation bar.
Select the Network option, and then click Submit.
- Click the Scan to FTP/SFTP/Network Profile menu in the left navigation bar.
- Select the profile you want to set up or change.
- In the Profile Name field, type a name for this server profile (up to 15 alphanumeric characters). The machine will display this name on the machine's display (hereinafter called LCD).
- In the Host Address field, type the Host Address (for example: mypc.example.com; up to 64 characters) or the IP address of the CIFS server (for example: 184.108.40.206).
In the Store Directory field, type the path (up to 60 characters) to the folder on the CIFS server where you want to send your scanned data.
- Click the File Name drop-down list, and then select a file name prefix from the seven preset names provided, or from two user-defined names. The file name used for the scanned document will be the file name prefix you select, followed by the last six digits of the flatbed/ADF scanner counter and the file extension (for example: "Estimate_098765.pdf").
- Click the Quality drop-down list, and then select a quality setting. If you select the User Select option, the machine will prompt users to select a setting each time they use the scan profile.
- Click the File Type drop-down list, and then select the file type you want to use for the scanned document. If you select the User Select option, the machine will prompt users to select a setting each time they use the scan profile.
- Click the Glass Scan Size drop-down list, and then select your document size from the list. This is necessary to make sure the scanned file is the correct size.
- Click the File Size drop-down list, and then select your file size from the list.
- Click the Remove Background Color drop-down list, and then select the level from the list. You can use this feature to remove the background color of documents to make the scanned data more legible.
- To PIN-protect this profile, in the Use PIN for Authentication field, select On.
- If you selected On for Use PIN for Authentication field. In the PIN Code field, type a four-digit PIN.
- To set your authentication method, select Auto, Kerberos, or NTLMv2 from the Auth. Method menu. If you select Auto, the authentication method will be detected automatically.
In the Username field, type the user name (up to 96 characters) that has permission to write data to the folder specified in the Store Directory field. If the user name is part of a domain, enter the user name in one of the following styles:
- In the New Password field, type the password (up to 32 characters) associated with the user name you entered in the Username field. Type the password again in the Retype Password field.
- To set the Kerberos Server Address manually, in the Kerberos Server Address field, type the Kerberos Server Address (for example: kerberos.example.com; up to 64 characters).
Using the following characters: ?, /, \, ", :, <, >, | or * may cause a sending error.
- You must configure the SNTP protocol (network time server) or you must set the date, time and time zone correctly on the control panel for all authentication methods. The time must match the time used by the Kerberos Server and CIFS Server.
- Load your document.
- Press (Scan).
- Swipe left or right to display (to Network).
Press (to Network).
The icon moves to the middle of the LCD and is highlighted in blue.
- Press OK.
- Swipe Up or Down or press Up or Down arrow to select one of the network server profiles listed. If the profile is not complete (for example, if the logon account name and password are missing, or if the quality or file type is not specified), you will be prompted to enter any missing information.
Press Start to start scanning.
The LCD shows the message Connecting. When the connection to the CIFS server is successful, the machine starts scanning.
If you are using the scanner glass, the LCD shows the message Next page?. Press Yes or No.
MFC-L8600CDW, MFC-L8850CDW, MFC-L9550CDW
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.