"UNABLE TO..." or "MEMORY DISABLED" message appearing on the LCD. What does it mean and how do I clear it?
When trying to use your Brother machine you get the message "UNABLE TO _____". The blank may be the word Change, PRINT, SCAN or INIT.
This message is a general message and will appear for different reasons. It often indicates a paper jam or a mechanical issue. Complete the following to determine the possible issue.
Check for foreign objects, such as a clip or ripped paper, inside the machine.
Open the top cover and remove any foreign obstacles from inside the fax machine. If you see jammed paper or another item inside this area, gently pull it out and then close the top cover securely.
- If the error continues to appear, the machine may have a mechanical problem.
If the error message continues to appear, the machine will need to be reset. Resetting the machine will erase all faxes in memory and the Fax Journal Report. However, there is a way to transfer faxes in memory and the Fax Journal Report to another fax machine to print them out. Do the following to transfer the data before resetting the machine:
Check whether the fax machine has faxes in the memory
- Press Menu/Set, 0, 0, 1.
- If the fax machine does not have faxes in its memory, disconnect the fax machine from the power source for several minutes and then reconnect it.
If faxes are present, you can transfer them to another fax machine. Go to Step 3.
Transfer faxes to another fax machine
- Enter the fax number to which faxes will be forwarded.
- Press Fax Start.
- After the faxes are transferred, disconnect the fax machine from the power source for several minutes and then reconnect it.
Transfer Journal report to another fax machine
You can transfer the FAX Journal report to another fax machine.
- Press Menu/Set, 0, 0, 2.
- Enter the fax number to which faxed will be forwarded.
- Press Fax Start.
To reset the fax machine, disconnect from the power for several minutes then reconnect it.
If you have not set up your Station ID, you cannot enter fax transfer mode.
If the error message still continues, contact Brother or your dealer for service.
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.