What is the recommended paper?
- DO NOT put different types of paper in the paper tray at the same time because it may cause paper jams or misfeeds.
- Choose the same paper size from your software application as the paper in the tray.
- Avoid touching the printed surface of the paper immediately after printing.
- Before you buy a lot of paper, test a small quantity to make sure that the paper is suitable.
- Store paper in its original packaging and keep it sealed.
- Keep the paper flat and away from moisture, direct sunlight and heat.
Recommended paper and print media
This information is for USA/ Canada/ Latin America, and Europe.
|Paper Type||USA/ Canada/ Latin America||Europe|
|Plain paper||Xerox 4200 20 lb
Hammermill Laser Print 24 lb (90 g/m2)
|Xerox Premier TCF 80 g/m2|
Xerox Business 80 g/m2
|Recycled paper||(No specific brand recommended)||Xerox Recycled Supreme 80 g/m2|
|Labels||Avery laser labels white #5160||Avery laser label L7163|
|Envelopes||(No specific brand recommended)||Antalis River series (DL)|
|Glossy paper||NewPage Futura Laser Gloss 80 lb (118 g/m2)
Xerox Digital Color Elite Gloss
|Xerox Colotech+ Gloss Coated 120 g/m2|
Paper capacity of the paper trays and Media type
|Paper size||Paper types||No. of sheets|
A5 (Long Edge),
|Plain paper, Thin paper and
|up to 250 sheets|
20 lb (80 g/m2)
|Manual feed slot||Width: 3.0 to 8.5 in.
(76.2 to 216 mm)
Length: 4.57 to 14 in.
(116 to 355.6 mm)
Labels and Glossy Paper
*1: Folio size is 8.5 in. × 13 in. (215.9 mm x 330.2 mm).
Recommended paper specifications
The following paper specifications are suitable for this machine.
|Basis weight||20-24 lb (75-90 g/m2)|
|Roughness||Higher than 20 sec.|
|Grain direction||Long grain|
|Volume resistivity||10e9-10e11 ohm|
|Surface resistivity||10e9-10e12 ohm-cm|
|Ash content||Below 23 wt%|
|Brightness||Higher than 80%|
|Opacity||Higher than 85%|
- Use plain paper that is suitable for laser/LED machines to make copies.
- Use paper that is 75 to 90 g/m2 (20 to 24 lb)
- Use long grain paper with a neutral Ph value, and a moisture content of approx. 5%.
- This machine can use recycled paper that meets DIN 19309 specifications.
Notes for using special paper
- DO NOT use inkjet paper because it may cause a paper jam or damage your machine.
- Preprinted paper must use ink that can withstand the temperature of the machine's fusing process 200 degrees centigrade (392 degrees Fahrenheit).
- If you use bond paper, paper having a rough surface or paper that is wrinkled or creased, the paper may exhibit degraded performance.
Notes for using envelopes
- Use envelopes that have edges with straight, well-creased folds and the leading edge should not be thicker than two sheets of paper.
- Use envelopes that lie flat and is not of baggy or flimsy construction.
- Buy quality envelopes from a supplier who understands that you will be using the envelopes in a laser/LED machine.
Notes for using labels
- Use labels that have an adhesive that is acrylic-based since this material is more stable at the high temperatures in the fuser unit.
- Adhesives should not come in contact with any part of the machine, because the label stock may stick to the drum unit or rollers and cause jams and print quality problems. No adhesive should be exposed between the labels. Labels should be arranged so that they cover the entire length and width of the sheet.
- DO NOT reuse or insert labels that have previously been used or are missing few labels on the sheet. Using labels with spaces may result in labels peeling off and causing serious jams or print problems.
- All labels used in this machine must be able to withstand a temperature of 200 degrees centigrade (392 degrees Fahrenheit) for a period of 0.1 seconds.
Some types of paper may not perform well or may cause damage to your machine. Do not use paper:
- that is highly textured.
- that is extremely smooth or shiny.
- that is curled or warped.
- that is coated or has a chemical finish.
- that is damaged, creased, or folded.
- that exceeds the recommended weight specification.
- with tabs or staples.
- with letterheads using low temperature dyes or thermography.
- that is multipart or carbonless.
- that is designed for inkjet printing.
HL-3180CDW, MFC-9130CW, MFC-9330CDW, MFC-9340CDW
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.