Replace the toner cartridge
Please follow the steps below to replace the toner cartridge:
> For the order number (Order No.) of the toner cartridge, please click here to see the Consumables & Options page.
The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the Toner Cartridge and not the drum unit. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.
Do NOT use flammable substances or any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.
Just after you use the MFC, some internal parts of the machine will be extremely HOT! Never touch the shaded parts shown in the illustration.
To prevent damage to the MFC from static electricity, do not touch the electrodes shown below.
- Open the front cover and pull out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
Hold your Brother machine with one hand and hold the drum unit with the other hand. Then, pull the drum unit toward you and lift it up.
- Hold down the lock lever on the left and pull the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
- Place the drum unit on a drop cloth or large piece of disposable paper to avoid spilling and scattering the toner.
- Handle the toner cartridge carefully. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, immediately wipe it off or wash it with cold water.
- Unpack the new toner cartridge. Place the used toner cartridge into the aluminum bag and discard it according to local regulations.
- Brother strongly recommends that you do not refill the toner cartridge provided with your MFC. We also strongly recommend that you continue to use only Genuine Brother Brand replacement toner cartridges. Using or attempting to use potentially incompatible toner and/or toner cartridges in your MFC may cause damage to the machine itself and/or it may result in unsatisfactory print quality. Our warranty coverage does not apply to any problem that was caused by the use of unauthorized third party toner and toner cartridges. To protect your investment and guarantee your print quality please continue to replace consumed toner cartridges with only Genuine Brother Branded Supplies.
- Wait to unpack the toner cartridge until immediately before you install it in the MFC. If a toner cartridge is left unpacked for a long period of time, the toner life is shortened.
- Gently rock the toner cartridge from side to side five or six times to distribute the toner evenly inside the cartridge.
- Remove the protective cover.
- Insert the new toner cartridge in the drum unit until it clicks into place. If you put it in properly, the lock lever will lift automatically.
To avoid print quality problems, DO NOT touch the shaded part shown in the illustration.
If you accidentaly touch the shaded part, wipe the surface with a dry lint-free soft cloth.
- Clean the primary corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the blue tab from right to left several times. Return the blue tab to the Home position before reinstalling the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
- Install the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly into the MFC.
- Close the front cover.
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.