Please follow the steps below to replace the toner cartridge:
The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the Toner Cartridge and not the drum unit. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"
> For the order number (Order No.) of the toner cartridge, please click here to see the Consumables & Options page.
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.
- DO NOT put a toner cartridge or a toner cartridge and drum unit assembly into a fire. It could explode, resulting in injuries.
- DO NOT use flammable substances, any type of spray, or an organic solvent/liquid containing alcohol or ammonia to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing so could cause a fire or electrical shock. Instead, use only a dry, lint-free cloth.
- Make sure that the machine is turned on. Leave the machine for at least 10 minutes to cool down.
- Press the front cover release button and then open the front cover.
- Take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
- We recommend that you place the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly on a clean, flat surface with a piece of disposable paper underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
- To prevent damage to the machine from static electricity, DO NOT touch the electrodes shown in the illustration.
- Push down the green lock lever and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
To avoid print quality problems, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
- Unpack the new toner cartridge. Hold the cartridge level with both hands and gently shake it from side to side several times to spread the toner evenly inside the cartridge.
- Pull off the protective cover.
- Put the new toner cartridge firmly into the drum unit until you hear it lock into place. If you put it in properly, the green lock lever on the drum unit will lift automatically.
Make sure that you put in the toner cartridge properly or it may separate from the drum unit.
Clean the corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from left to right and right to left several times.
Be sure to return the tab to the home position (1). If you do not, printed pages may have a vertical stripe.
Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back into the machine.
Close the front cover of the machine.
Do not turn off the machine's power switch or open the front cover until the Ready LED light up or LCD shows Ready.
HL-5440D, HL-5450DN, HL-6180DW
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.