How do I wind the bobbin?
(1) Pre-tension disk
(2) Bobbin winder shaft
- Only use bobbins (part code: SA156, SFB: XA5539-151) that have been designed for this sewing machine. Using other bobbins may cause damage to the machine.
- We designed the bobbin that comes with this machine. If you use bobbins from other models, the machine will not work properly. Only use the bobbin that comes with this machine or bobbins of the same type (part code: SA156, SFB: XA5539-151).
(1) This model (2) Other models
Turn on the sewing machine.
Pull up the spool pin as far as possible, and then put a spool of thread on this pin.
If the spool of thread is not in the right place, the thread may tangle on the spool pin.
Pass the thread around the pre-tension disk.
Make sure that the thread passes under the pre- tension disk.
Pass the end of the thread through the hole on the bobbin from the inside of the bobbin.
Put the bobbin onto the bobbin winder shaft and slide the bobbin winder shaft to the right.
Turn the bobbin clockwise, by hand, until the spring on the shaft slides into the groove of the bobbin.
(1) Spring on the shaft
(2) Groove of the bobbin
Make sure that the thread between the spool and the bobbin is pulled tight.
While holding the end of the thread, gently press the foot controller to wind the thread around the bobbin a few times.
Then stop the machine.
Trim the excess thread above the bobbin.
Press the foot controller to start.
When the bobbin seems full and begins spinning slowly, take your foot off the foot controller.
Cut the thread, slide the bobbin winder shaft to the left (A) and remove the bobbin (B).
Not winding the bobbin properly may cause the thread tension to loosen, and may break the needle.
(1) Wound evenly (2) Wound poorly
- When the sewing machine is started or the handwheel is turned after winding the thread around the bobbin, the machine will make a clicking sound; this is not a malfunction.
- The needle bar does not move when you slide the bobbin winding shaft to the right.
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.