How do I wind the bobbin?
- Only use the bobbin that has been designed for this sewing machine.
Using of any other bobbin may cause damage to the machine.
- The bobbin was designed specifically for this sewing machine. If bobbins from older models are used, the machine will not operate correctly.
- Put the spool of thread on the spool pin. Make sure that the thread passes under the bobbin-winding tension disc.
Bobbin-winding tension disc
If the spool of thread is not in the right place, the thread may tangle on the spool pin.
- Pass the end of the thread through the hole on the bobbin from the inside of the bobbin.
- Put the bobbin onto the bobbin-winding shaft and slide the bobbin-winding shaft to the right.
Turn the bobbin clockwise, by hand, until the spring slides into the slit.
- While holding the end of the thread, gently press the foot controller or press the start/stop button (for models equipped with the start/stop button) to wind the thread around the bobbin a few times.
Then, stop the machine.
- Trim the excess thread above the bobbin. Press the foot controller or press the start/stop button (for models equipped with the start/stop button) to start.
- When the bobbin seems full and begins spinning slowly, take your foot off the foot controller or press the start/stop button (for models equipped with the start/stop button).
- After the machine stops, cut the thread, slide the shaft to the left, and then remove the bobbin.
- The needle bar does not move after the bobbin-winding shaft is slid to the right.
- Immediately after winding the bobbin, it is normal to hear the sound of the clutch engaging when beginning to sew or turning the balance wheel.
Make sure you follow the instructions carefully.
If you do not cut the thread completely, and the bobbin is wound, when the thread runs low it may tangle around the bobbin and cause the needle to break.
BM-3500/2600, XL-2120/2220/2230/2240, XL-5050/5060/5070
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
Please note this form is used for feedback only.