Replace the drum unit.
Follow the procedure below to replace the drum unit.
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from the representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.
The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the drum unit and not the toner cartridge. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"
Do NOT use flammable substances near the machine. Do NOT use any type of spray, or an organic solvent/liquid that contains alcohol or ammonia to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.
- While removing the drum unit, handle it carefully because it may contain toner. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, wipe or wash it off with cold water at once.
- After you have just used the machine, some internal parts of the machine will be extremely hot. To prevent injury, when you open the front or back cover (back output tray) of the machine DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustration. If you do this you may get burned.
- Press the front cover release button and open the front cover.
- Slowly take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
- We recommend that you put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly on a clean, flat surface with a sheet of disposable paper or cloth underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
- To prevent damage to the machine caused by static electricity, DO NOT touch the electrodes shown in the illustration.
- Push down the blue lock lever and take the used toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
- Wait to unpack the new toner cartridge until immediately before you put it in the machine. If a toner cartridge is left unpacked for a long time, the toner life will be shortened.
- Be sure to seal up the used drum unit tightly in a bag so that toner powder does not spill out of the unit.
- To avoid print quality problems, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
- Unpack the new drum unit.
- Put the toner cartridge firmly into the new drum unit until you hear it lock into place. If you put the cartridge in properly, the blue lock lever will lift automatically.
Make sure that you put in the toner cartridge properly or it may separate from the drum unit.
- Clean the corona wire of the drum unit by gently sliding the blue tab from right to left and left to right several times.
Be sure to return the blue tab to the home position (1). If you do not, printed pages may have a vertical stripe.
- Put the new drum unit and toner cartridge assembly in the machine. Do not close the front cover.
- Press Clear/Back.
The LCD shows "Replace Drum? 1.Yes 2.No"
To confirm you are installing a new drum, press 1.
- When the LCD shows Accepted, close the front cover.