VoIP is a type of phone system that uses an internet connection instead of a traditional phone line.
- To verify your Brother machine has a dial tone. (Click here to see the details of how to verify that my Brother machine has a dial tone.)
- If there is dial tone, go to STEP 3.
- If there is no dial tone, verify the telephone line cord is directly connected from the Brother machine's LINE jack (socket) to the wall telephone jack (socket).
- If you are using an analog telephone line and there are splitters, commshare devices, power strips or surge protectors between the wall telephone jack (socket) and the Brother machine, please remove them. Removing these devices assists in determining if the issue is related to the device or the Brother machine.
- If you are using a DSL or Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone system, there can be multiple types of telephone line connections (modems, interface boxes, phone adapters, splitters, etc). However, a telephone line must be connected to the Brother machine's LINE jack (socket).
- If there is still no dial tone, click here to see points to be checked when your Brother machine has no dial tone.
- Place the document(s) you want to fax face down in the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF).
After you put your document(s) in the ADF, the Brother machine's LCD should display the fax-sending options.
- Enter the fax number you want to send to.
You can manually dial the number or use a One Touch or Speed Dial number.
- Press the Fax Start, Black Fax Start or Color Fax Start key on the machine.
The machine will scan and fax the document.
- You can press the Stop/Exit key to cancel the fax.
- If you send a black & white fax when the machine's memory is full, it will be sent in real time.