Follow the steps below to clear the error message Paper Jam.
For the models with FAX functions:
Before you unplug the machine from the power source, you can transfer your faxes that are stored in the memory to your PC or another fax machine so you will not lose any important messages.See the Related FAQ's at the end of the page.
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product, and may differ from your Brother machine.
- Unplug the machine from the AC power outlet (electrical socket).
- Pull paper tray #1 (1) completely out of your Brother machine.
If your machine has paper tray #2 (2), pull it out of your machine, too.
- If the machine's display (hereinafter called Touchscreen) shows Paper Jam [Rear], go to STEP 9.
- Pull out the jammed paper (1).
- Lift the green Jam Clear Flap, and remove the jammed paper.
- Make sure you look carefully inside the machine above and below the green Jam Clear Flap for any pieces of paper.
- Check inside the machine.
- Using both hands, use the finger holds on each side of the machine to lift the scanner cover (1) into the open position.
- Use your hand to move the print head and remove any pieces of paper remaining under the print head.
Unplug the machine from the power source before you move the print head using your hand.
- Carefully check the left (2) and right (3) side corners and removes any pieces of paper.
- If the print head is in the right corner as shown in the illustration, you cannot move the print head. Re-connect the power cord. Hold down (Cancel) until the print head moves to the center. Then unplug the machine from the power source and take out the paper.
- If ink gets on your skin or clothing, immediately wash it off with soap or detergent.
- Make sure you look carefully inside (1) for any pieces of paper.
- Gently close the scanner cover using the finger holds on each side.
With the tray removed, do one of the following:
- If the Touchscreen shows Paper Jam [Front], go to STEP 13.
- If the Touchscreen shows Paper Jam [Front, Rear], go to STEP 9.
- Open the Jam Clear Cover at the back of the machine.
- Open the inside cover (1).
- Pull the jammed paper out of the machine.
- Close the inside cover and Jam Clear Cover. Make sure the covers are closed completely.
- Put paper tray #1 firmly back in your Brother machine.
If your machine has paper tray #2, put it back in your machine, too.
- While holding the paper tray in place, pull out the paper support (1) until it locks into place, and then unfold the paper support flap (2).
- Re-connect the power cord.
- Verify the error message is cleared.
If the paper gets jammed repeatedly and the Touchscreen shows Paper Jam [Rear], click here to see how to clean the paper pick-up rollers.
If the error message continues to appear, click here to see information for the error message "Paper Jam" after removing the jammed paper.
- DO NOT put more than one sheet of paper in the manual feed slot at any one time. Doing this may cause a paper jam. Even if you are printing multiple pages, do not feed the next sheet of paper until the Touchscreen shows a message instructing you to feed the next sheet.
- To avoid future paper jams, adjust the paper side guides.