I am experiencing issues sending a fax.
If you are experiencing issues sending faxes, follow the instructions listed below:
NOTE: The screens may differ depending on your Brother machine.
Verify if your Brother machine has a dial tone.
> Click here to see how to verify that the Brother machine has a dial tone.
- If there is dial tone, continue to STEP 5.
If there is no dial tone, verify the telephone line cord is connected from the jack (socket) on the Brother machine (labeled "LINE" for some countries) directly to the wall jack (socket). If there are splitters, commshare devices, power strips. or surge protectors between the wall jack (socket) and the Brother machine, remove them. Removing the device that is connected between the wall jack (socket) and Brother machine assists in determining if the issue (no dial tone) is related to the device or the Brother machine.
If the line connection does not require any changes, continue to STEP 2.
If the line connection required a correction, connect the line cord correctly and then try to listen for a dial tone. If there is a dial tone, continue to STEP 5. If there is still no dial tone, continue to STEP 2.
To protect your investment against power surges and lighting, Brother strongly recommends that you connect your machine to a surge protector. In particular we suggest that you use a surge protector that is compatible with both standard AC power cords and telephone line cords. Surge protectors equipped with telephone jacks (sockets) will assist in insulating your machine from any power surge that might travel through a telephone line.
Verify the date and time is displayed on the machine's display (hereinafter called LCD).
- If the date and time show on the display, continue to STEP 3.
- If the LCD displays an error message, refer to the necessary solution that address the message that is appearing on the LCD.
If the display is blank:
-i. Verify the power cord is connected to the AC power outlet (electrical socket). If the power cord is not connected plug the cord directly into a known working outlet.
-ii. If the power cord is connected to a surge protector or power switch, remove the cord from that device and connect it directly to the outlet.
-iii. If the display is still blank verify the machine is powered ON. The machine has an On/Off key located on the control panel.
(For some countries)
Change the TONE/PULSE setting by following the instructions listed below:
- Press (Settings) > All Settings > Initial Setup > Tone /Pulse.
- Press Pulse (or Tone).
- Press (Home).
If there is still no dial tone, remove the telephone line cord from the wall jack (socket) and connect a known working extension phone with a known working telephone line cord to the same wall jack (socket). Lift the handset of the telephone and listen for a dial tone.
- If the telephone does not have dial tone, the issue is related to the phone line or wall jack (socket). Contact the local telephone company for assistance.
- If the telephone has a dial tone, disconnect the telephone line cord from the telephone and connect it to the jack (socket) on the Brother machine (labeled "LINE" for some countries). Then verify whether your Brother machine has a dial tone.
- If you do not hear a dial tone your machine may require service. Contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".
If you are having an issue sending a fax to one particular number, verify the number is a working fax number.
If you are using a DSL line, follow the steps listed below. If you are not using a DSL line skip to STEP 7.
- Turn off the DSL modem or disconnect its power supply.
- Disconnect the DSL modem from the telephone line filter.
- Remove the filter from the wall jack (socket).
- Connect the Fax machine to the wall jack (socket).
- Test by sending a fax. If the fax is sent successfully you'll need to contact your DSL provider for assistance in resolving the interference from the DSL system. If the issue continues continue to STEP 7.
If you are unable to perform the troubleshooting steps listed below, contact your DSL provider for assistance.
If you are using Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP), (a technology that allows you to make telephone calls using a broadband Internet connection instead of a regular (or analog) phone line, review the information listed below. If you are not using VoIP continue to STEP 8.
VoIP is not a marketed feature of your Brother machine, however there is a compatibility setting available with this machine that may assist with sending and receiving faxes when using VoIP. Adjusting this setting lowers the baud rate (modem speed) and turns Error Correction Mode (ECM) Off.
> Click here to adjust this setting to Basic (for VoIP).
- Basic (forVoIP) reduces the modem speed to 9600 bps.
- When you change the compatibility setting to Basic(for VoIP), the ECM feature is only available for color-fax sending. (Only available for some models)
Send a fax using the flat bed scanner glass:
- The automatic document feeder(ADF) must be empty when faxing from the flat bed scanner glass.
To send a fax using the flat scanner glass, lift the document cover and then using the guidelines on the left, top the document face down on the scanner glass. Close the document cover. Do one of following:
- When Fax Preview is set to off, press (Fax). Dial the fax number using the dial pad and then press Fax Start.
- When Fax Preview is set to on, press (Fax) and Sending Faxes. Dial the fax number using the dial pad and then press Fax Start.
* If sending multiple pages and you pressed Fax Start, press Yes and lift the document cover, remove the first document and place the second page on the scanner glass. Press OK. The Brother machine starts scanning the second document. (Repeat this procedure for each additional page). When all documents have been scanned press No and the machine will begin to dial.
Sending a fax using the ADF (automatic document feeder):
- Before placing your document(s) in the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF), verify the LCD displays the date and time. Place a document in the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF). Verify the LCD changes to "ADF Ready". If the display changes, press (Fax) (and press Sending Faxes) and continue to STEP 10.
If the display continues to show the date and time, verify the document(s) meet the required specifications for ADF use.
> Click here to see details of the document(s) meet the required specifications for ADF use.
If the width of the document is too small, the document sensors will not "sense" the document and the fax machine will not transmit. The document must be wide enough to reach the sensors to inform the machine there is a document to send. You will need to use a wider sheet of paper. If the paper meets the specifications and the LCD remains on date and time when a document is placed in the ADF your machine may require service. Contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".
If you are using access numbers for calling cards, long distance security codes, pressing 9 to access the outside line, etc. and a pause is required between the dialing of those numbers and the fax number press Pause when needed. You can press Pause as many times as need to increase the length of the pause.
When sending a fax manually, make sure you wait to hear the fax tones of the receiving fax unit before pressing the Fax Start.
If you continue to have issues sending faxes after following the steps listed above your machine may require service. Contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".