Restrict the functions available on your Brother machine and the number of prints.
You can use Secure Function Lock to restrict available functions and the number of prints.
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.
Secure Function Lock is a function to restrict available functions and the number of prints. Users need an authentication to use machines and they can only use allowed functions. Also, you can reduce costs by avoiding unnecessary printing.
- Fax TX (Fax Sending)
- Fax RX (Fax Receiving) (Restrict printing of received fax to specific users)
- USB Direct Print
- Scan to USB (USB Direct Scan)
- Web Connect
- Page Limits
- Page Counters
- Color Print
(*); You can confirm available functions of your Brother machine by opening Restricted Functions menu which appears when Secure Function Lock is activated on Web Based Management.
- Entering password
- Card authentication by NFC (Near-Field Communication) Reader
Brother machine turns into Public Mode when Secure Function Lock is on. Anyone can use machines without any authentication in Public Mode. Therefore, we recommend restricting functions strictly to prevent unauthorized access. Aside from Public Mode, you need to create a new mode (group). For example, create groups such as Manager, Regular Staff, and Part-time Staff and set the functions you want to restrict for each group. Available functions for each user vary depending on groups they belong to. Users can use the functions by logging on their groups with a password or card authentication.
Follow the steps below to set Secure Function Lock with Web Based Management. (The screens and setting items may differ depending on your Brother machine or Operating System.)
- Set an Administrator password
- Configure Secure Function Lock using Web Based Management
- Configure Public Mode for Secure Function Lock
- Set the frequency for page counter reset
We recommend setting an Administrator password to prevent unauthorized access to the machine. After the Administrator password / account has been set, user access is restricted to only allow changes to the settings in the General tab area.
Access Web Based Management.
> Click here to see how to access Web Based Management.
If you have previously set your own password, go to STEP2.
If you have not previously set your own password, change the default login password.
> Click here to how to change the password.
Set specific user page limits, and grant access to some or all of the functions.
For example, create groups such as Regular Staff, Part-time Staff, and Manager, select a check box to allow or clear a check box to restrict the function listed for each group. If you want to limit the number of prints, select the On check box in Page Limits section and enter the number of prints in the Max. Pages column.
Set the restricted functions for Public Mode in the Public Mode row. Select a check box to allow or clear a check box to restrict the function listed. Since all users can use the machine without a password in Public Mode, we recommend restricting all functions in Public Mode.
Follow the steps applicable for your case.
If you select the On box in Page Limits, go to STEP 4.
If not, the setting is now completed.
If you set the number of prints in STEP 2 or 3, follow the steps below to set the frequency to reset the page counter.
Click the Counter Auto Reset menu in the left navigation bar.
If you cannot find Counter Auto Reset, you must reset Page Counters manually. Go to Restricted Functions XX-XX on the left menu bar and click All Counter Reset.
Set Frequency and click Submit.
- Set the date and time of the machine correctly in advance.
- To reset Page Counters manually, go to Restricted Functions XX-XX on the left menu bar and click All Counter Reset.
- You can check the previous number of prints in Last Counter Record on the left menu bar.
- The setting is now completed.
Brother machine turns into Public Mode when Secure Function Lock is on. You need to switch users by a password or card authentication to use restricted functions.
Select either two ways below to switch to an individual user.
If Secure Function Lock is on, all menus in (Setting) are locked and you cannot change any setting even after you switch to an individual user.
Turn Secure Function Lock off if you need to change settings.
Press or on the machine's display (hereinafter called Touchscreen).
(Where XXXXX is the user’s name.)
- Press Change User.
- Select your user name.
Enter your four-digit user password and press OK. Make sure the user name you have selected is displayed on the Touchscreen.
- To change to the public mode, press and Go to Public.
- After a restricted user has finished using the machine, it will return to Public mode after one minute.
- Press (Home) to return to the Ready screen.
Touch the card to (NFC Reader).
- You can log on by touching the card to the NFC Reader even if the machine is in Public mode or another user is logged in.
- The NFC Reader may not be able to detect when the card is in a case or cover. Always remove the card from a case or cover when you touch the card to the NFC Reader.