FAQs & Troubleshooting
Replace the Toner Cartridge
Before starting the replacement procedure, see Related Information: Replace Supplies.
- Make sure the machine is turned on.
- Press the front cover release button and open the front cover.
- Hold the drum unit's green labeled handle. Pull the drum unit out of the machine until it stops.
- We recommend placing the toner cartridge and drum unit assembly on a clean, flat surface with disposable paper underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
- Hold the handle of the toner cartridge and pull the toner cartridge up and out of the drum unit. Repeat this for all toner cartridges.
- Clean the corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from left to right and right to left several times. Repeat this for all the corona wires.To avoid poor print quality, be sure to lock the green tab into the home position (1), flush left with the left side of the drum.
- Unpack the new toner cartridge.
- Remove the protective materials.
- Insert the toner cartridge into the drum unit. Make sure that you match the toner cartridge color to the same color label on the drum unit. Repeat this for all toner cartridges.
Make sure you put the toner cartridge in correctly or it may separate from the drum unit.
- K: Black
- C: Cyan
- M: Magenta
- Y: Yellow
- Using the green labeled handle, push the drum unit back into the machine until it locks in place.
- Close the machine's front cover.
After replacing a toner cartridge, DO NOT turn off the machine or open the front cover until the machine's display returns to Ready Mode.
- The toner cartridge that comes with your Brother machine is a Starter toner cartridge.
- We recommend keeping a new toner cartridge ready for use when you see the Toner Low warning.
- To ensure high quality printing, we recommend using only Genuine Brother Brand toner cartridges. When you want to buy toner cartridges, contact Brother Customer Service or your local Brother dealer.
- DO NOT unpack the new toner cartridge until you are ready to install it.
- If a toner cartridge is left unpacked for a long time, the toner life will be shortened.
- We strongly recommend you DO NOT refill the toner cartridge provided with your machine. We also strongly recommend you continue to use only Genuine Brother Brand replacement toner cartridges. Use or attempted use of third-party toner and/or cartridges in the Brother machine may cause damage to the machine and/or may result in unsatisfactory print quality. Our limited warranty coverage does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of third party toner and/or cartridges. To protect your investment and obtain premium performance from your machine, we strongly recommend the use of Genuine Brother Supplies.
If your question was not answered, have you checked other FAQs?
Have you checked the manuals?
If you need further assistance, please contact Brother customer service:
To help us improve our support, please provide your feedback below.