How do I clean the corona wires?
If you have print quality problems, clean the corona wires as follows:
Do NOT use flammable substances near the machine. Do NOT use any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.
- Turn off the machine's power switch.
Unplug the telephone line cord first (for MFC users) and disconnect all cables, and then unplug the power cord from the AC power outlet.
- Press the front cover release button and then open the front cover.
- Hold the green handle of the drum unit. Lift the drum unit up and then pull it out until it stops.
- Hold the handle of the toner cartridge and pull it out of the drum unit. Repeat this for all the toner cartridges.
- We recommend that you place the toner cartridges on a clean, flat surface with a piece of disposable paper underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
- DO NOT put a toner cartridge into a fire. It could explode, resulting in injuries.
- Handle the toner cartridges carefully. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, wipe or wash it off with cold water at once.
- To avoid print quality problems, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
- Push to release the latches of the white corona wire cover (1), and then open the cover.
We recommended that you clean the corona wire for each of the colors. If you want to clean only the corona wire of the color that caused the print quality problem, see the illustration below to identify the position of each of the corona wires.
- Clean the corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from left to right and right to left several times.
Be sure to return the tab to the home position (1). If you do not, printed pages may have a vertical stripe.
- Close the corona wire cover.
- Repeat Step 5 to Step 7 to clean each of the remaining corona wires.
- Hold the handle of the toner cartridge and slide the toner cartridge into the drum unit. Make sure that you match the toner cartridge color to the same color label on the drum unit, and make sure that you fold down the toner cartridge handle (A) once the toner cartridge is in place. Repeat this for all the toner cartridges.
- Push the drum unit in until it stops.
- Close the front cover of the machine.
- Plug the machine's power cord back into the AC power outlet first, and reconnect all cables and telephone line cord (for MFC users). Turn on the machine's power switch.