Replace the drum unit.
The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the drum unit and not the toner cartridge. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"
To replace the drum unit follow the instructions listed below:
Do NOT use flammable substances or any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.
Just after you have used the FAX/MFC, some internal parts of the machine are extremely HOT! When you open the top cover of the FAX/MFC, never touch the shaded parts as shown below:
Open the top cover.
Remove the used drum unit. Place the drum unit on a drop cloth or large piece of disposable paper to avoid spilling and scattering the toner.
Gently turn the lever on the toner cartridge forward until it stops.
- Pull the toner cartridge out of the used drum unit, and keep it in a safe place.
Place the used drum unit into the aluminium bag and discard it according to local regulations.
- Wait to unpack the new drum unit until immediately before installing it into the FAX/MFC. If an unpacked drum unit is subjected to excessive direct sunlight or room light, the unit may be damaged.
- Handle the toner cartridge and the drum unit carefully because they contain toner. If toner scatters and your hands or clothes get dirty, immediately wipe or wash with cold water.
- Discard the used drum unit according to local regulations. If you are not sure of them, call your local Sanitation Department. Be sure to seal the drum unit tightly so toner powder does not spill out of the unit. When discarding used drum units, keep them separate from domestic garbage.
Do NOT remove the clear plastic starter sheet!
Reinstall the toner cartridge into the new drum unit. Gently turn the lever on the toner cartridge clockwise until it stops.
- Holding the new drum unit by its handles, install it. Close the top cover.
- The FAX/MFC will eject the clear plastic starter sheet automatically.