How do I replace the Ink Cartridge?
Replace the Ink Cartridge by following the instructions below:
Open the ink cartridge cover. If one or more ink cartridges are empty, for example Black, the LCD shows Ink Empty Black and Replace Ink.
Pull the lock release lever down and take out the ink cartridge for the color shown on the LCD.
Open the new ink cartridge bag for the color shown on the LCD, and then take out the ink cartridge.
Remove the protective yellow cap. DO NOT touch the area shown in the illustration below.
Each color has its own correct position. Insert the ink cartridge in the direction of the arrow on the label.
Lift each lock release lever and gently push it until it clicks, and then close the ink cartridge cover.
The machine will automatically reset the ink dot counter.
- If you replaced an ink cartridge before the LCD shows Near Empty or Ink Empty, the LCD will ask you to verify that it was a brand new one. (For example, Did You Change Blck?) For each new cartridge you installed, press up navigation key or 1 or "+" to select Yes to automatically reset the ink dot counter for that color. If the ink cartridge you installed is not a brand new one, be sure to press the down navigation key or 2 or "-" to select No.
- If the LCD shows No Cartridge after you install the ink cartridges, check that the ink cartridges are installed properly.
- DO NOT take out ink cartridges if you do not need to replace them. If you do so, it may reduce the ink quantity and the machine will not know the quantity of ink left in the cartridge.
- DO NOT touch the cartridge insertion slots. If you do so, the ink may stain your skin.
- If ink stains your skin or clothing, wash with soap or detergent at once.
- If you mix the colors by installing an ink cartridge in the wrong position, clean the print head several times after correcting the cartridge installation.
- Once you open an ink cartridge, install it in the machine and use it up within six months of installation. Use unopened ink cartridges by the expiration date written on the cartridge package.
- DO NOT dismantle or tamper with the ink cartridge; this can cause the ink to leak out of the cartridge.
- Brother strongly recommends that you do not refill the ink cartridges provided with your machine. We also strongly recommend that you continue to use only Genuine Brother Brand replacement ink cartridges. Use or attempted use of potentially incompatible ink and/or cartridges in the Brother machine may cause damage to the machine and/or may result in unsatisfactory print quality. Our warranty coverage does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of unauthorized third party ink and/or cartridges. To protect your investment and obtain premium performance from the Brother machine, we strongly recommend the use of Genuine Brother Supplies.