How do I change the needle ?
- Only use recommended home sewing machine needles. Use of any other needle may bend the needle or damage the machine.
- Never use bent needles. Bent needles can easily break, possibly resulting in injuries.
Checking the needle
Before using the needle, place the flat side of the needle on a flat surface and check that the distance between the needle and the flat surface is even.
|(1) Flat side
(2) Needle type marking
(3) Flat surface
(5) Not even
Replace the needle in cases such as the four described below:
- If an unusual sound is produced when the needle enters the fabric while sewing trial stitches at low speed. (The tip of the needle may be broken or dull.)
- If stitches are skipped. (The needle may be bent.)
- Generally, after completing one project, such as a piece of clothing.
- Generally, after using three full bobbins of thread.
Replacing the needle
Use the screwdriver and a new needle that has been determined to be straight according to the instructions in "Checking the needle" on the above section.
Press (Needle position button) once or twice to raise the needle.
Place fabric or paper under the presser foot to cover the hole in the needle plate to prevent the needle from falling into the machine.
Turn off the machine.
Before replacing the needle, be sure to turn off the machine, otherwise injuries may occur if the "Start/Stop" button or any other button is pressed and the machine starts operating.
Hold the needle with your left hand, and then use a screwdriver to turn the needle clamp screw toward you (counterclockwise) to remove the needle.
Do not apply a strong force when loosening or tightening the needle clamp screw, otherwise certain parts of the machine may be damaged.
With the flat side of the needle toward the rear of the machine, insert the new needle until it touches the needle stopper. Using the screwdriver tighten the needle clamp screw by turning it clockwise.
(1) Needle stopper
Be sure to insert the needle until it touches the needle stopper and securely tighten the needle clamp screw with the screwdriver, otherwise the needle may break or damage may result.
- Turn on the machine.