Using the Printer Setting Tool (for Mac)
Using the Printer Setting Tool, you can specify the printer's communication settings and device settings from a Mac. Not only can you change the device settings for one printer, but you can also apply the same settings to multiple printers.
- The Printer Setting Tool is available only with compatible Brother printers.
- The Printer Setting Tool is installed automatically when you use the initial installer to install the printer driver. For more information about installation, click here. (For macOS 10.15 or earlier)
- Make sure the AC adapter is connected to the printer and to an AC power outlet, or a fully-charged battery is installed.
- Make sure the printer driver has been installed correctly and you can print. (For macOS 10.15 or earlier)
- Connect this printer to a computer with a USB cable. Settings cannot be specified over Wi-Fi when using this tool.
Using the Printer Setting Tool for Mac
- Connect the printer you want to configure to the computer.
Click [Macintosh HD] - [Applications] - [Brother] - [Printer Setting Tool] - [Printer Setting Tool.app].
The [Printer Setting Tool] window appears.
Check that the printer you want to configure appears next to [Printer]. If a different printer appears, select the printer you want from the drop-down list.
If only one printer is connected, it is unnecessary to make a selection because only that printer will appear.
- Select a setting tab, and then specify or change the settings.
- Click [Apply Settings to the Printer] in the setting tab to apply the settings to the printer.
- Click [Exit] to finish specifying settings.
Use the Printer Setting Tool to configure the printer only when the printer is in standby.
The printer may malfunction if you try to configure it while it is handling a job.
Settings Dialogue Box
Lists the connected printers.
Imports settings from a file.
Saves the current settings in a file.
Contain settings that may be specified or changed.
Apply Settings to the Printer
Applies the settings to the printer.
Print Unit Settings
Prints a report containing firmware version and device setting information.
You can also print this report using the (Feed&Cut) button.
When you print this report, use 24 mm (0.9") or 36 mm (1.4") tape.
Resets printer settings to factory settings.
Retrieves the settings from the currently connected printer and displays them in the dialogue box.
Exits the Printer Setting Tool.
See below for detailed information about specifying or changing the settings.
Auto Power On
Specifies whether the printer turns on automatically when the power supply cord is plugged into an AC power outlet.
Available settings: [Disable], [Enable]
Auto Power Off (AC/DC)
Specifies the period of time that passes before the printer turns off automatically when connected to an AC power outlet.
Available settings: [None], 10/20/30/40/50 Minutes, 1/2/4/8/12 hours
Auto Power Off (Li-ion)
Specifies the period of time that passes before the printer turns off automatically when powered by the rechargeable Li-ion battery.
Available settings: [None], 10/20/30/40/50 Minutes, 1 hour
Print Information Report
Specifies the printer information that will be printed.
Available settings: [All], [Usage Log], [Printer Settings], [Printer Transfer Data]
Save Printer Print Log
Select whether or not to save the printer's print log.
Available settings: [Enable], [Disable]
Adjusts the length of the printed label to correspond to the length of the label displayed on the computer.
Available settings: -4 to +4 (1 increments)
Full Cut Margin Adjustment
Adjusts the margin length when fully cutting labels.
Available settings: -2 to +2 (1 increments)
Half Cut Margin Adjustment
Adjusts the margin length when half-cutting labels.
Available settings: -2 to +2 (1 increments)
Prints a test label to check the results of the settings.
Select [Enable] or [Disable(serial port)].
Bluetooth Device Name
Allows to type the Bluetooth device name.
Displays the acquired Bluetooth address.
Visible to Other Devices
Allows the printer to be “discovered” by other Bluetooth devices.
Available settings: [Discoverable], [Not Discoverable]
Enables or disables the PIN used when pairing with devices.
Turns the Wireless Direct function on or off.
SSID/Network Key Generation
Select [AUTO] or [STATIC].
SSID (Network Name) / Network Key
Specifies the SSID (3 to 25 ASCII characters) and the network key you want to use in the Wireless Direct mode.
You can specify a setting only when [STATIC] is selected as [SSID/Network Key Generation].
Display current settings
Displays the current settings for Wireless Direct. Click [Current Settings] to update the displayed settings with the most recent information.
Applying Setting Changes to Multiple printers
- After applying settings to the first printer, disconnect the printer from the computer, and then connect the second printer to the computer.
- Select the newly connected printer from the [Printer] drop-down list.
Click [Apply Settings to the Printer].
The same settings that were applied to the first printer are applied to the second printer.
- Repeat steps 1 – 3 for all printers whose settings you want to change.
To save the current settings in a file, click [Export].
The same settings can be applied to another printer by clicking [Import], then selecting the exported settings file.