FAQs & Troubleshooting
Replace the toner cartridge
Please follow the steps below to replace the toner cartridge:
The Brother machine has separate consumables for the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the toner cartridge and not the drum unit. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"
> For the order number (Order No.) of the toner cartridge, please click here to see the Consumables & Options page.
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from a representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.
- To ensure high quality printing, we recommend that you use only genuine Brother toner cartridges. When you want to buy toner cartridges, call your dealer or Brother Customer Service.
- We recommend that you clean the printer when you replace the toner cartridge. See How can I clean the inside of the printer?
Do NOT use any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.
Make sure that the printer is turned on. Open the front cover.
Slowly but firmly pull the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly out of the machine.
Hold your Brother machine with one hand and hold the drum unit with the other hand. Then, pull the drum unit toward you and lift it up.
- We recommend that you put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly on a piece of disposable paper or cloth in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
- To prevent damage to the printer from static electricity, DO NOT touch the electrodes shown in the illustration.
Push down the green lock lever and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
- DO NOT put a toner cartridge into a fire. It could explode, resulting in injuries.
- Handle the toner cartridge carefully. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, wipe or wash it off with cold water at once.
- To avoid print quality problems, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
- Be sure to seal up the drum unit tightly in a bag so that toner powder does not spill out of the cartridge.
- Discard the used toner cartridge according to local regulations, keeping it separate from domestic waste. If you have questions, call your local waste disposal office.
Unpack the new toner cartridge. Hold the cartridge level with both hands and gently rock it from side to side five or six times to spread the toner evenly inside the cartridge.
- Wait to unpack the toner cartridge until immediately before you put it in the printer. If toner cartridges are left unpacked for a long time the toner life will be shortened.
- If an unpacked drum unit is put in direct sunlight or room light, the unit may be damaged.
- Put the toner cartridge in the drum unit immediately after you have removed the protective cover. To prevent any degradation to the print quality, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
For USA and Canada
Brother strongly recommends that you do not refill the toner cartridge provided with your printer. We also strongly recommend that you continue to use only genuine Brother brand replacement toner cartridges. Use or attempted use of potentially incompatible toner and/or cartridges in the Brother machine may cause damage to the machine and/or may result in unsatisfactory print quality. Our warranty coverage does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of unauthorized third party toner and/or cartridges. To protect your investment and obtain premium performance from the Brother machine, we strongly recommend the use of genuine Brother supplies.
For UK and other countries
Brother machines are designed to work with toner of a particular specification and will work to a level of optimum performance when used with genuine Brother branded toner cartridges. Brother cannot guarantee this optimum performance if toner or toner cartridges of other specifications are used. Brother does not therefore recommend the use of cartridges other than genuine Brother branded cartridges with this machine.
If damage is caused to the drum unit or other part of this machine as a result of using other manufacturer's products with this machine, any repairs required as a result may not be covered by the warranty.
Pull off the protective cover.
Put the new toner cartridge firmly into the drum unit until you hear it lock into place. If you put it in properly, the lock lever will lift automatically.
Make sure that you put in the toner cartridge properly or it may separate from the drum unit.
Clean the primary corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from right to left and left to right several times.
Be sure to return the tab to the home position (1). If you do not, printed pages may have a vertical stripe.
- Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back in the printer. Close the front cover.
DO NOT turn off the printer power switch or open the front cover until the Ready LED lights up.