I'm using Mac OS X 10.5 or greater and I'm getting an error messages when I try to print.
In order to correct this problem, try the following:
- Uninstall the printer driver packages for the printers on your system that you do not use. Macintosh OS X comes pre-installed with other packages. In most cases these drivers are not needed, and can sometimes cause conflicts. In order to remove the printer drivers, you will need to begin by opening the hard drive that contains the OS® X system or the Root folder. Normally, double-clicking on the Macintosh Hard Drive icon will automatically open the Root folder.
Double-click on the Library folder.
- Double-click on the Printers folder.
- Select and delete the folders just for the other manufactures not in use.
(Such as Epson, Canon, Lexmark and HP.)
Since it may effect operation of other items that are connected to the computer, you do not need to delete the PPD or PPD folders.
Empty the trash.
The other software is removed from the system. You should re-start the computer, and then re-select the Brother unit from the "Print & Fax" or "Print & Scan" Utility, and try printing.
- Check the USB connection.
- Disconnect the cable from the computer and the Brother machine.
Connect the end of the USB cable directly to the Mac. Connect the other end of the USB cable directly to the Brother machine.
- Restart the computer.
(Click on the Apple Menu and choose Restart.)
- Click on the Apple Menu and choose System Preferences.
- Click on the Print & Fax or Print & Scan icon.
- Click on + button.
- Click on Default. Choose your Brother machine and confirm that the correct machine is listed for Print using. And click on the Add button.
At this point, you should see your model listed in the main body of the "Print & Fax" or "Print & Scan" Utility window. The driver is now selected and active on the system. You can exit the "Print & Fax" or "Print & Scan" Utility.
If the name of the product does not appear in the Printer List of the "Print & Fax" or "Print & Scan" Utility, the Mac does not see the unit. Please be sure that the length of the USB cable does not exceed 6 feet (2 meters) or you may want to replace the USB cable with another, known working cable.
DCP-110C, DCP-115C, DCP-117C, DCP-120C, DCP-130C, DCP-310CN, DCP-315CN, DCP-330C, DCP-340CW, DCP-4020C, DCP-540CN, DCP-7010, DCP-7010L, DCP-7025, DCP-750CW, DCP-8020, DCP-8025D, DCP-8040, DCP-8045D, DCP-8060, DCP-8065DN, FAX-1820C, FAX-1840C, FAX-1940CN, FAX-2440C, FAX-2920, MFC-210C, MFC-215C, MFC-240C, MFC-3220C, MFC-3240C, MFC-3320CN, MFC-3340CN, MFC-3360C, MFC-3420C, MFC-3820CN, MFC-410CN, MFC-425CN, MFC-440CN, MFC-4820C, MFC-5440CN, MFC-5460CN, MFC-580, MFC-5840CN, MFC-5860CN, MFC-590, MFC-620CN, MFC-640CW, MFC-660CN, MFC-7225N, MFC-7420, MFC-7820N, MFC-820CW, MFC-8220, MFC-8420, MFC-8440, MFC-845CW, MFC-8460N, MFC-8820D, MFC-8840D, MFC-8840DN, MFC-8860DN, MFC-8870DW, MFC-890, MFC-9030, MFC-9070, MFC-9160, MFC-9180, MFC-9420CN, MFC-9660, MFC-9760, MFC-9880