Replace the drum unit.
Follow the procedure below to replace the drum unit.
The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the drum unit and not the toner cartridge. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"
Do NOT use flammable substances near the machine. Do NOT use any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.
- While removing the drum unit, handle it carefully because it may contain toner. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, wipe or wash it off with cold water at once.
- After you have just used the machine, some internal parts of the machine will be extremely hot. When you open the front or back cover (back output tray) of the machine, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustration. If you do this, you may get burned.
- Open the front cover.
- Slowly take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
- We recommend that you put the used drum unit and toner cartridge assembly on a clean, flat surface with a sheet of disposable paper or cloth underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
- To prevent damage to the machine caused by static electricity, DO NOT touch the electrodes shown in the illustration.
- Push down the green lock lever and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
Discard the used drum unit according to local regulations, keeping it separate from domestic waste. Be sure to seal up the used drum unit tightly in a suitable bag so that toner powder does not spill out of the unit. If you have questions, call your local waste disposal office.
- Wait to unpack a new drum unit until immediately before you put it in the machine. Exposure to direct sunlight or room light may damage the drum unit.
- To avoid print quality problems, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
- Unpack the new drum unit.
- Put the toner cartridge firmly into the new drum unit you hear it lock into place. If you put the cartridge in properly, the green lock lever will lift automatically.
Make sure that you put in the toner cartridge properly or it may separate from the drum unit.
- Clean the primary corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab from right to left and left to right several times.
Be sure to return the green tab to the home position (1). If you do not, printed pages may have a vertical stripe.
- Put the new drum unit and toner cartridge assembly in the machine.
- Press Clear/Back.
For MFC users:
To confirm you are installing a new drum, press 1.
For DCP users:
To confirm you are installing a new drum, press the Up Arrow key.
- When the LCD shows Accepted, close the front cover.