Replace the drum unit.
Follow the procedure below to replace drum unit.
The Brother machine has separate consumables the toner cartridge and the drum unit. Verify you replace only the drum unit and not the toner cartridge. If you want to know their difference, refer to "What is the difference between the toner cartridge and the drum unit?"
Do NOT use flammable substances or any type of spray to clean the inside or outside of the machine. Doing this may cause a fire or electrical shock.
For the order number (Order No.) of the drum unit, please refer to the User's guide provided with your Brother Printer or the Consumables & Options page of your model on Brother Solutions Center. To visit Consumables & Options page, click your model name link (e.g. HL-XXXX * ) on the top section and then click "Consumables & Options" link on the opened page. * XXXX stands for your model name.
- Make sure that the printer is turned on and the Drum LED is blinking. Press the front cover release button and then open the front cover.
- Press and hold down Go for about 4 seconds until all the LEDs light up. Once all four LEDs are lit, release Go.
- Take out the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly.
- We recommend that you put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly on a piece of disposable paper or cloth in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
- To prevent damage to the printer from static electricity, DO NOT touch the electrodes shown in the illustration.
- Push down the blue lock lever and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit.
- Handle the toner cartridge carefully. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, wipe or wash it off with cold water at once.
- To avoid print quality problems, DO NOT touch the shaded parts shown in the illustrations.
- Be sure to seal up the drum unit tightly in a bag so that toner powder does not spill out of the unit.
- Discard the used drum unit according to local regulations, keeping it separate from domestic waste. If you have questions, call your local waste disposal office.
- Unpack the new drum unit.
Wait to unpack a drum unit until immediately before you put it in the printer. Exposure to direct sunlight or room light may damage the drum unit.
- Put the toner cartridge firmly into the new drum unit until you hear it lock into place. If you put the cartridge in properly, the blue lock lever will lift automatically.
Make sure that you put in the toner cartridge properly, or it may separate from the drum unit.
- Put the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly back in the printer.
- Close the front cover.
- Drum LED is now off.