My FAX/MFC will not Dial. Why?
- Verify that the unit has no error message on the LCD.
- If the LCD displays an error message, refer to "FAQs & Troubleshooting" for information on the error message you are receiving.
- If the LCD shows Telephone, any key pressed will not respond. Please hang up the extension phone.
- If the LCD is blank, first verify that the unit is not in the OFF mode. Press and hold the ON/OFF or POWER SAVE key located on the control panel until the date and time appear on the display. If the display remains blank, verify that the power cord is connected. If the power cord is connected to a surge protector or power switch, remove the cord from the device and connect it directly to the outlet. If the display is still blank, try a different electrical outlet. If the display still remains blank, your machine may require service.
- Check for splitters, commshare devices etc. If connected to a a splitter or a commshare device, remove any of these devices from the phone line.
- Verify that the wall jack has a dial tone. Connect a regular telephone directly to the wall jack. Lift the handset of the telephone and listen for a dial tone.
If there is a dial tone, continue to STEP 4.
If there is no dial tone from the wall jack, the problem is with the wall jack or the line and you need to contact your local telephone company for service.
- Verify if your Brother machine has a dial tone. For more information, please refer to "How can I verify if my Brother machine has a dial tone?".
If there is a dial tone, continue to STEP 5.
If there is no dial tone, your machine may require service. Please contact Brother Customer Service from "Contact Us".
- Lift the handset of the FAX/MFC or the external telephone. Wait to hear fax receiving tones before pressing Mono Start or Colour Start.
- If you are having problems sending a fax to a particular number, verify that the number is a working fax number. You can call the number by picking up the handset of the FAX/MFC or the external telephone and verify that the number answers with fax tones.
To help us improve our support, please provide your feedback below.