When I print, the pages are smudged with ink. What should I do?
To solve the problem, make sure the followings:
NOTE: Illustrations shown below are from the representative product and may differ from your Brother machine.
- The paper is not too thick or curled.
Also, verify that the appropriate paper is being used and that the paper type set in the machine matches the media used.
- The scanner is not dirty.
Refer to the Related FAQs at the end of the page to see how to clean the machine's scanner.
- The printer platen is not dirty.
How to clean the machine's printer platen
- Unplug the machine from the AC power outlet.
- Lift the scanner cover until it locks securely in the open position.
- Clean the machine's printer platen(1) and the area around it, wiping off any scattered ink with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
Platen type a: Platen type b:
- Close the scanner cover.
• The paper pick-up roller is not dirty.
How to clean the machine's paper pick-up roller
- Pull the paper tray completely out of the machine.
- Unplug the machine from the AC power outlet and remove the Jam Clear Cover (1).
DO NOT place the jam clear cover face down as shown in the illustration. You may damage the cover and cause paper jam.
- Clean the Paper Pick-up Roller (1) with isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab.
- Put the Jam Clear Cover back on. Make sure the cover is set properly.
- Put the paper tray firmly back in the machine.
- Re-connect the power cord.
- You are using Genuine Brother Innobella™ Ink.
Brother strongly recommends that you do not refill the ink cartridges provided with your machine. We also strongly recommend that you continue to use only Genuine Brother Brand replacement ink cartridges. Use or attempted use of potentially incompatible ink and/or cartridges in the Brother machine may cause damage to the machine and/or may result in unsatisfactory print quality. Our warranty coverage does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of unauthorized third party ink and/or cartridges. To protect your investment and obtain premium performance from the Brother machine, we strongly recommend the use of Genuine Brother Supplies.
> Brother Genuine Supplies information
- You are using the paper support flap.
To use the paper support flap, pull out the paper support (1) until it clicks and unfold the paper support flap(2).