LPR Driver Install
Follow the 6 steps below to install a driver.
*** If CUPS is working on your system, we recommend to use CUPS.
Printer driver install for CUPS
- Step 1. Login as a superuser ( or use "sudo" option if it is required )
- Step 2. Check if pre-required procedures are completed
- For openSUSE
- For Debian/Ubuntu 64 bit
- For Fedora10 64 bit
- Step 3. Download a driver.
- Download LPR driver.
- Printer Driver download page
- Step 4. Install the driver
- 4-1. Turn on the printer and connect the usb, network or parallel cable.
- 4-2. Go to the directory where the driver is.
- 4-3. Install LPR driver. The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.
- 4-5. Check if the LPR driver is installed
- Step 5. Confirm/Configure a file according to your connection
- 5-1. Check the configuration filename for your distribution.
- openSUSE, Ubuntu, Debian : /etc/printcap
- Redhat, fedora, Mandriva : /etc/printcap.local
- 5-2. Edit the file according to your connection
- For USB Connection (Default)
- Check if the parameter of ":lp" is ":lp=/dev/usb/lp0"
- For Network Connection
- replace ":lp" line to the following 2 lines
- :rm=(ip address of your printer)\
- For Parallel connection
- replace ":lp" line to the following line
- 5-3. Restart the print system
- Command (for lpr): /etc/init.d/lpr restart
- Command (for lprng) : /etc/init.d/lprng restart
- Step 6. Try a test print
- Install LPR driver (dpkg)
# dpkg -i --force-all dcp540cnlpr-1.0.1-1.i386.deb Selecting previously deselected package dcp540cnlpr. (Reading database ... 89067 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking dcp540cnlpr (from dcp540cnlpr-1.0.1-1.i386.deb) ... Setting up dcp540cnlpr (1.0.1-1) ... #
- Check LPR driver (dpkg)
$ dpkg -l | grep Brother ii dcp540cnlpr 1.0.1-1 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions $
- Install LPR driver (rpm)
# rpm -ihv --nodeps dcp540cnlpr-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm Preparing packages for installation... dcp540cnlpr-1.0.1-1 Shutting down cupsd done Starting cupsd done #
- Check LPR driver (rpm)
# rpm -qa | grep -e dcp540cnlpr dcp540cnlpr-1.0.1-1 #
- printcap or printcap.local file (for USB connection)
$ cat /etc/printcap DCP540CN:\ :mx=0:\ :sd=/var/spool/lpd/dcp540cn:\ :sh:\ :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\ :if=/usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp540cn/lpd/filterdcp540cn:
- printcap or printcap.local file (for Network connection)
$ cat /etc/printcap DCP540CN:\ :mx=0:\ :sd=/var/spool/lpd/dcp540cn:\ :sh:\ :rm=192.168.3.3\ :rp=lp\ :if=/usr/local/Brother/Printer/dcp540cn/lpd/filterdcp540cn:
- printcap or printcap.local file (for Parallel connection)
$ cat /etc/printcap HL1440:\ :mx=0:\ :sd=/var/spool/lpd/HL1440:\ :sh:\ :lp=/dev/lp0:\ :if=/usr/local/Brother/lpd/filterHL1440: